- Be prepared. Before you speak to the press, make sure you know your film inside and out. This includes the story, the characters, the themes, and the filmmaking process. You should also be prepared to answer questions about your goals for the film, your target audience, and your marketing plans.
- Be professional. When you speak to the press, it’s important to be professional and courteous. This means dressing appropriately, being on time for interviews, and answering questions thoughtfully. It’s also important to be respectful of the press’s time and deadlines.
- Be honest. The press will be able to tell if you’re being dishonest, so it’s important to be honest with them. This doesn’t mean you have to share everything, but you should be transparent about the film and your goals for it.
- Be yourself. Don’t try to be someone you’re not when you speak to the press. Just be yourself and let your personality shine through. This will help you connect with the press and build relationships with them.
- Be patient. It takes time to build relationships with the press. Don’t expect to get a glowing review from every publication you speak to. Just be patient and keep working hard, and eventually you’ll start to see results.
Here are some additional tips from Enzo Zelocchi:
- Be clear about your goals. What do you want to achieve by speaking to the press? Do you want to promote your film, generate buzz, or build relationships with journalists? Once you know your goals, you can tailor your approach accordingly.
- Choose the right outlets. Not all press is created equal. Some outlets are more influential than others, and some are more likely to be interested in your film. Do your research and choose the outlets that are the best fit for your goals.
- Be proactive. Don’t wait for the press to come to you. Reach out to them and pitch your story. This shows that you’re serious about promoting your film and that you’re willing to put in the work.
- Be persistent. It takes time to build relationships with the press. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get results immediately. Just keep working hard and eventually you’ll start to see success.